Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mmmm Bananabread

When we buy bananas there are many times that we don’t get around to eating them all and they get a little overripe on our counter – which, of course, is not a bad thing!  I just freeze those suckers and pull them out when I feel like baking anything banana-ish!

That’s what happened the other night.  I haven’t been feeling very motivated to bake lately but something changed that night and I got a huge craving for bananabread!

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com (LOVE that site!) a long time ago and have only used this recipe ever since.  The loafs come out SO moist and SO tasty.  I think the moistness is from using a secret ingredient – sour cream (low fat of course).

The recipe says it yields 4 loaves, but I got 2.5. 

Here’s the goods:

Banana Bread Recipe:

Original Recipe Yield 4 - 7x3 inch loaves

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (I use low fat)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) (Not for me, thank you stupid nut allergy. Boo!)
  • My addition to 1 loaf: chocolate chips – DBF liked that loaf the best!
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture. (I don’t ever do this step)
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Et voila!

IMG_2880

Take this recipe and give it a try!  Trust me your taste buds will thank you!  It’s nice as a treat once in a while as each serving is about 215cals.

2 comments:

Kayleigh Rose on February 13, 2010 at 7:39 p.m. said...

mmm this looks really good thanks! I will try making it soon. Im not much of a cook though :(

Jen on February 14, 2010 at 12:20 a.m. said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMM yummy!!!! I LOVE Banana bread!!!

I have an AMAZING banana bread recipe with white chocolate and coconut/brown sugar crumble on top...