Sunday, February 10, 2008

Crazy animal kingdom I live in

Ok, it's Sunday morning at 8:50AM and I've been up for almost 2hrs.

Anyone who knows me, knows that isn't how I roll....

First meet Jade (Brown Tabby) & Ceasar (Blue/Grey fluffmeister):


Awwwe, so cute, right? .....Heh.... yea...

For anyone who has/had cats, you will be familiar with the *crazies* they get at night. Running around like their ass is on fire.
Well that's what was happening this morning as I slept. I have 2 cats, and they were chasing each other all around the apartment. Normally I can sleep through it, or shrug it off, but this morning seemed to go on forever. I heard some hisses and yelps, but that's normal for when my cats are chasing each other.
What prompted me to get up was realizing that this had probably been going on for quite a while cuz I've woken up a few times already. I can hear when the cats who live upstairs run around, so I imagined those who live beneath me could hear my 2 cats and it was probably not what they wanted to hear at 6am sunday morning. (my downstairs neighbors had been annoying us to no end, tapping on the roof in the daytime in an attempt to say we're too loud.... in the day time... and we're not even that loud. our upstairs neighbors have a treadmill that you can barely hear and we dont complain... grrr.. thats another story, anyway)
So I dragged my ass out of bed to pee firstly, but then go see the cats. Often when I get up my brown cat Jade will rub against my legs and want cuddles.
(he was the one instigating this fight. He was chasing Ceasar around).

So I was talking to them, telling them 'thats enough'... fully expecting they'd understand me, of course.... (evidence of my sleepy, not awake brilliant thoughts I get)

I go back to bed.

And they go at it again.
GRRR.

I lay in bed for a bit more.

Then I hear an unusual yelp. It sounded like sheer fear/pain/something. I'd never heard it before, and by now I'd definitely had enough.

I pop out of bed like a poptart getting flung from a toaster, and see my two cats in the hall.
Jade went and attacked Ceasar again - right in front of me.
I pulled him off (It was almost like pulling children apart) and picked him up.

Freaking bugger was panting, almost choking/gurgling, making weird noises from his mouth which he kept open.

I'd *never* seen him like this before. Ceasar used to look like this as a kitten when he would run around and not know his limits, but Jade has never done anything like this.
So I pet him, and gently tell him that's enough and to calm down (again, hoping he'd understand... at least with my comforting petting).
I notice they have no hard food in their food dish, so I put some in for them, and place Jade in front of the bowl. (the cat-crazies with these cats have been known to start when no food is in their bowl at night.)
There, done. Calmed down. Phew.

I start walking away and look down at my white top, and notice a blood stain.

WHAT?!??!?!?

Ok so now I freak out and get Dave out of bed. It *has* to be from Jade because he's the only one I picked up.
Dave goes and picks up Jade, and we notice a cut on his paw pad.
I felt so bad.

The poor bugger was hurt by Ceasar in his battles, and he was fighting to the deaths.
I felt so bad. I couldn't be upset with him any longer because I could only imagine how much that hurt. He was defending himself from the other cat, but took it wayyy too far and didn't know when to stop.
I hadn't gotten mad at Ceasar - cuz in all reality, it was probably a bite he took out of his own defense.

Oh man.

Dave looked at it and said it was just a cut and he'd be ok. If it was deeper, we'd need to look at it a bit more, but Jade will probably clean it himself and it'll heal shortly.

What a morning.

I could only imagine what my poor bunny was thinking through this whole episode. He must have been freaking out.



After that I couldn't get back to sleep, so here I am.
As I type this Ceasar is cuddled up to me in bed and is kneading my chest whilst drooling.

Oh, the crazy animal kingdom I live in.

6 comments:

Jenn on February 11, 2008 at 1:22 p.m. said...

What a morning! No wonder you couldn't go back to sleep - poor babies fighting with each other!
I've had 2 cats before, I've never seen them fight to the point of panting/hissing/weird noises.
I hope they are ok today!

eurydice on February 11, 2008 at 5:30 p.m. said...

i have a cat and i hate when he acts all crazy in the night - that's when i just close the bedroom door lol

Lex on February 11, 2008 at 8:54 p.m. said...

Jenn: oh my, it's not something I want to go through again. freakin lil buggers

Eurydice: I can normally sleep through them or just ignore them but it was going on so long. Given my freakish state my one cat was in, i'm glad I woke up. He probably would have run around so much until he passed out lol

Cat on February 12, 2008 at 7:41 p.m. said...

omg - this story is soo funny (up until I found out poor Jade got a boo boo!) Cats crack me up. Anyone who thinks that cat's don't have a personality is crazy.

Sarah on February 13, 2008 at 12:05 p.m. said...

Wow. I can't imagine... that is awful! My kitty lost his breath once and I'm surprised I didn't run him to vet emergency.. I can't imagine how you felt with him bleeding!!!

Lex on February 13, 2008 at 6:40 p.m. said...

cat_82: it's so true. cats absolutely have their own personalities. i can even totally tell which cat has done what mischievious thing without even seeing them in action.

Sarah - ohhh I panicked. i would have probably freaked even more had Dave not come to the rescue and reassure me it was just a minor cut. I was definitely freaking out! now the poor bugger has a lump on his tail and i'm so scared to find out what it is. :(