Sunday, February 15, 2009

Great Valentines Weekend

First things first: I successfully completed Day 1 of P90x!!! It was rough. It was intense. I definitely did use some choice curse words, but I did it!! More about that *here*

This weekend was pretty good! Saturday morning Dave & I went to Coras for breakfast (Our favorite place to go for brunch!). After that we went to get him a haircut, and also to pick up some much needed yoga mats (see here).
When we came home I rested on the couch for a bit, and somehow managed to have a 2hr nap! I must have been super duper pooped! It felt sooo good to just relax, though! We had dinner reservations for the Hamachi Sushi house at 9pm where we had a wonderful Valentines dinner. Oddly enough I wasn't in the mood for sushi, so I had a striploin steak with veggies and fried rice. It was DAMN good!!
After supper we headed out to his brother's friends place to play some board games. We didn't get home until about 2am so it was a nice fun filled night!

Today Dave had a LAN party at our place with a couple of his friends. I pretty much just caught up on some of the shows I had DVR'd, then started to make my roast beef dinner because his parents were coming over.
Well.. it was a disaster! I am not that great in the kitchen, but I always manage to pull it off.... except for today!
- The roast did not cook entirely - I think the bottom may not have completely been unthawed, so it was pretty rare.
- I barely got any drippings to make gravy... oh... and I have no clue how to make gravy.
- I cut and peeled a BUNCH of potatoes, but after I drained the water they all seemed to have disappeared!
- the yorkshire puddings didn't turn out because the oven kept getting opened while we tried fixing the roast

Gahh! Basically anything that could go wrong did. Dave's parents were troopers, and they didn't seem to mind (Mind you, Dave's mom is not great in the kitchen either, so she empathized with me).

It ended up turning out okay though.

After dinner we introduced his parents to the Wii and they were HOOKED on it! We even got them boxing one another which was HILARIOUS!

That brings me to now. I am thrilled because I dont' have to work tomorrow so I'm going to enjoy the day which will be filled with relaxation!

Yeah!

5 comments:

Vanessa on February 15, 2009 at 11:29 p.m. said...

Not in the mood for sushi??????

Pfffft.

Rebecca on February 16, 2009 at 12:18 a.m. said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the workout!

The first meal I ever made for my in-laws was a success, so I'm scared to attempt another one! lol It sounds like they were good sports though, and seeing them play the Wii sounds like a blast! :-)

Jen on February 16, 2009 at 12:28 a.m. said...

A little word association...to me: roast = slow cooker!!

Stick the roast in the slow cooker, pour some prepackaged gravy mix and some dressing mix (like ranch, herb or italian) or even some onion soup mix and about 1.5 cups of water and let er go!!! The beef comes out AMAZING regardless of the cut you use and the gravy is SUPER tasty!

YUM!!!

Hee hee!! We are both with nerds who love a good LAN party!!

ElleBee on February 16, 2009 at 8:20 a.m. said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!! Don't worry about your Roast, at least the IL's were nice about it right!

That's funny about the Wii hehe , but nice to see them having fun. My Mom is a total serious business lady and we've got her hooked on Guitar Hero ;)

This P90x intrigues me, I'm going to have to look into it!

Cat on February 16, 2009 at 1:49 p.m. said...

I'm so lucky that Mike is the cook of the 'family'. I can cook, but I make the hugest mess and somehow manage to use every single dish in the kitchen.... I feel your pain dear!