Thursday, June 25, 2009

Booty recap & Soy inquiry

All I can say is all day today I've been HURTING! Just walking down these stairs to get to my car was torture:



BUT, I had my trusty Green Monster in hand (and YES that is some of my BB Swag from work hehe):


Today at work it seemed like I had to pee every 5 minutes which was ALSO torture! Sitting up/down in my desk chair hurt my adductors in my leg so bad... and then when I had to actually pee, I had to hold onto the TP dispensor! Man oh man, I was in rough shape! Towards the end of the day sitting started to get better, but OTHER muscles started to hurt when I walked. Sheesh!! My body was giving me a big "F-U!"

When I got home I showered, did some stretches and had another green monster (no pic).
Today's Green Monster included:
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 Cup Soymilk (More on soy milk to follow below)
- 1 TBsp ground Flax
- 1/2 banana
- 1 TBsp Liberte yogurt
- and my piece d'resistance - 1 cup of WATERMELON (my personal fav, so I had to give it a try)

Overall it wasn't too shabby! I will enjoy this for brekkie tomorrow! The abundance of fruit in my house will allow me to try several different varieties!

Ok so then came bootcamp. There were volleyball people in the sandpit, so Heather had us go to a grassy spot further down the hill. It was nice on the grass, but still a bit bumpy from the random rocks we encountered. Oh - and by bringing us further downhill, it brought us closer to the baseball field.... and what does a baseball field mean....... BLEACHERS! YUP, we had a few circuits of running up & down on the bleachers. We worked it though!!
Most of the exercises were the same from the 1st class with a few new variations. Some crazy downward dog-type pushups as an example.
I struggle the most with cardio. My endurance SUCKS, but I hope to improve on that. When we were running the length of the baseball field at the end of the class I was pooped! We mixed up the lap with some jumping jacks... but as Jaime can attest, mine were looking more like WACKY jacks! I had lost a lot of steam!

After class there were a few photo ops. I don't have all of the pictures but I have some love to share (I managed to get a pic with Heather in it):


I was supposed to go to get my bridesmaids' dress altered, however I was WAY too sweaty and gross so I cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow. I thought I would be able to zoom home, shower then meet the lady in 30m but after the class I honestly just wasn't feeling like rushing!

Us ladies headed out to Starbucks for some java then we headed home.

OH - about that Soy - I was talking about my Green Monster at work today and a colleague came over and warned me about drinking Soy milk. She told me that Soy milk has high estrogen levels and has been known to cause lumps in womens breasts (breast cancer?). She suggested I drink the rice milk (since I can't have the almond breeze... allergies).
Anyway - I haven't heard of this before so I am looking to you lovely ladies for any input!

8 comments:

ElleBee on June 25, 2009 at 10:51 p.m. said...

Yup, I avoid Soy Milk because soy is already hidden in tons of the food we eat, it's basically a filler like corn.

If you read Jillian Michael's book Master Your Metabolism she explains it all in detail and the harm it can do. I can lend you the book if you're interested, it's quite the eye opener.

Your pic is great, we're all smiley, hehe!

Anonymous said...

I think bad things can be said about almost every food except veggies and fruit!

I've heard that soy has estrogen and has some maybe negative effects, but the next thing you'll see is another studying coming out telling us it is the wonder product of the decade!

Lots of books that I have read say that milk and all other dairy products (and meat) are actually really bad for us, and it is unnatural for us to eat them. But hey, all in moderation is what I think (I loves me my cheese!).

Cat on June 26, 2009 at 12:41 a.m. said...

I have heard that about soy, but honestly, I'm with Tash, that we will see negative feedback about almost every food we could possibly eat. I think the trick is to enjoy everything in moderation...I highly doubt that a little soy milk will do any damage, but gallons and gallons may...as with anything else in large quantities...

I'm so glad you're having fun at booty boot camp! You're doing super well! Have fun!

Herbalife Las Vegas on June 26, 2009 at 2:09 a.m. said...

Sorry to hear about all the pain. I hate going to the bathroom every five minutes. The green monster sounds very healthy and good. I am a big fan of shakes being with herbalife.

Emmett on June 26, 2009 at 2:09 a.m. said...

Feel better!

Kelly on June 26, 2009 at 8:15 a.m. said...

Sorry to hear you were in so much pain! :( I really need to try one of these Green Monster's everyone is talking about!

Jaime on June 26, 2009 at 9:35 a.m. said...

I switch back and forth between soy/almond/skim milks. I tend to have a couple of different containers on the go at any given time. I'm in agreement with Cat and Tash...in moderation I think soy is fine. Lynn is right though, that it is a hidden filler in a lot of products.

The thing about rice milk is that it's nutritional value isn't as good as soy or almond. You could try hemp milk too if you are worried, although when I tried it I found it quite chalky.

Angela Power on June 26, 2009 at 9:39 p.m. said...

These smarty pants just about covered everything I would have said. Yes it appears that because soy has phytoestrogens it mimics regular estrogens in our body and has been linked to increase in breast cancer. Soy milk alone it doesn't appear is dangerous, and neither would tofu or soy beans, but the fact is that if you look at the ingredient label any just about anything (kashi etc.) there's soy in one form or another in it and it's not it's purest form. It's just like the corn industry thing.

I'm still laughing about how your body's giving you the "big F-U" lol