Monday, June 1, 2009

Running for the cure!

This year I have decided to run in the CIBC Run For The Cure to support breast cancer research.
I am sooo excited about this as it is such an important cause. My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor and I can remember all too well how it affected her.

I was making cupcakes for our 'game night' this weekend and I colored the frosting pink when I got the idea to make a bunch of 'pink themed' cakes/cupcakes for a while in hopes of raising funds for the run. I have put a link on the right side of my blog that takes you right to my donation page if you feel like making a donation.

I have a goal of 350 but I need 150 to have my registration fee waived. I already have $35 which I am thrilled about. I seriously got all warm and fuzzy when I recieved my first donation! It feels sooo good to support something so important!

Anyway, I have my first paying customer for a cake this friday! It is for my friends birthday but the request is to make a carrot cake. Since I am still a NEWBIE I told my buddy to just pay towards my charity - which I think is a great way to ramp myself up. Hopefully after October (after the run) I will have improved my cake making skills and will have the confidence to actually charge moolas for my cakes! :)
It'll give me a few months to figure out price points/recipes/maybe some branding and a website!

Loving it!



3 comments:

Vanessa on June 1, 2009 at 5:08 p.m. said...

Congrats on deciding to do the run! Best of luck with your fundraising goals :)

Jen on June 1, 2009 at 7:02 p.m. said...

That is a fantastic idea!!! I would totally sponsor you if you sent me cupcakes!!! Haha, I am just kidding!!! I will totally sponsor you anyway!!! I am just doing my sponsoring (you and Jaime so far) AFTER this months mortgage payment!

Cat on June 2, 2009 at 12:38 a.m. said...

Great idea darling!! I will of course sponser you