Monday, August 17, 2009

Knock knock, who’s there?


That’s who!

I have been MIA for the longest time and I’m finally getting back into the swing of things.  Now, I’ve been back for several weeks however there have been a lot of things going on SINCE the vacation.  I definitely was on hiatus for a while and I-needed-it!

Here’s a little long summary so you get a bit of a picture:

- Vacation booked in Edmonton for 10 days… I was there to visit family but also to stand in a wedding

- Saturday to Sunday was great. I was there by myself and got to chill with my family.  Wahoo!

- Monday Dave came and it started off great, but ended up not so great, then turned around to being ‘ok’.

- Tuesday, great

- Wednesday – Fabulous

- Thursday – had to help set up the wedding in +30C temps.  Dave had to sit at home by his lonesome due to some plans that fell through. Booorrring!

- Friday 1/2 day spent setting up reception hall (Dave was at home again), 2nd 1/2 was spent with my mom and him playing golf. 

- Saturday – wedding.  Up at the crack of dawn for hair + makeup


11 am – tea ceremony:

Randi's Wedding 134

Afternoon: Take limo to the wedding which was 45m outside of town. Limo overheats (Note: This day was 32C ++++)


replacement limo comes, filthy from the night before (liquor EVERYwhere), no Air conditioning, and not stocked with water.

Drive 45m out.

Arrive at wedding at 3pm … still so hot.  The house where the wedding is has no water.  The guests were hovering in what little shade there was.  The bridesmaids were all in our LONG dresses, and the groomsmen in their suits.

Randi's Wedding pt1 127

Seriously, TMI but whatever: my undies were soaked, my legs were drenched.  It was sooo gross!

After the ceremony and oodles of pictures, we took the dirty, un-airconditioned limo 45mins back into town.

no – 1hr 15m because the driver took a LONG way!

Then we go to the reception to finish setting things up (last minute, yes).  Un-airconditioned Reception hall with little to no water.

At this point 'I’m starting to feel weird.  Very very weird.  Weak and just ‘off’.

When we sit down at the head table I can tell my body temp is SO hot but I have the chills.


Dinner comes – I can’t eat.  Anything.

Speaches take place – I don’t do any for fear of passing out if I stood up.

I go to sit in an airconditioned car.  I do not get better.  In fact, I start to panic.  I tell the maid of honor that I’m going to the hospital cuz something isn’t right.  I was talked out of it, and my dad came to pick me up instead.  (I haven’t seen the 1st dance, cutting of the cake, anything).

When I get home, I rip the damn dress off and pass out in my bed.  Dave puts cold wet towels all over me because of how hot my body temp is.

I realize that I got heat exhaustion.  Not good.  I realize, hey, I haven’t sweat since the ceremony outside.  Hrmm

Sunday – I feel like CRAP.  Hot/cold/hot/cold/achy/fever/headachy/hot/cold,  I go to a small hospital, wait for 2 hours and only ONE person during that time got to see a doctor.  Uhhhh no thanks.  I went home and just dealt with the pain.


Monday – Hot/cold/fever/hot/cold + WORST-HEADACHE-EVER.  I have NEVER experienced a headache like this.  It was SOOOOOO bad.  My mom told me to get to the hospital.  I was put in a room very fast but I think the nurse was new and didn’t input me into the computer so I waited forever for a doctor. 

* this was a ‘good’ reading:


When the doc finally came she treated me for dehydration and a migraine.  That meant IV, pain stuff, nausea stuff, Benadryl.  I’ve never been IV’d before and I didn’t like it.  I was ok with the needle, but I wasn’t OK when the drugs hit my brain.  I quite literally started TRIPPING OUT!  Dave talked me through it – blesshisheart! And I had somewhat of a nap.


Whatever pain meds they gave me helped somewhat, but it didn’t take the whole migraine away.

Oh, did I mention the NEXT DAY I had to fly home?


The flight was brutal – I started checking out train tickets instead but that was the day VIA rail had a 60% off promo so I couldn’t get anywhere online.

I get off the plane and Dave’s mom’s expression when she sees me said so much.  I looked TERRIBLE!  But… I felt good that the flight was over.

I still felt like crap though and called in Wednesday so I could get some rest.  Underneath it all a nice FLU unveiled itself.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Does it EVER stop?????????

I took Wed, Thurs, Friday off so in total I was off for 2 weeks from work. yikes!

Anyway – that’s my story.  I tried condensing it but then it also felt good to just get some of it out!



There has been other stuff going on in the past few weeks, but nothing much to talk about.


I just signed up for WW online.  I had heard a few people mention they were signing up and it was kind of a coinkidink because I’d been thinking about it as well.

See – I’ve never done WW before, or anything!  I get kind of lost with food.  I really need someone’s help (That someone turns out to be Dave) when it comes to knowing about good cals/bad cals, fiber intake, protein, etc etc etc.  It it quite sad to say, but I am very ignorant to a lot of very important information.  Food is a struggle for me and since I haven’t really had a solid foundation, I decided I needed some structure.

So, it’s kind of funny that a bunch of other ladies have just joined/rejoined once again.

I’m excited to see what comes of this!  I literally JUST activated my account so I have a lot of reading material to go through!

I feel like I have so much more to say but I have to run to my girlfriend’s house to watch yesterday’s True Blood! WEeeeee!

Ladies (to anyone who may/may not be reading):




Now that I’ve said it, I mean it! And if I slip, then I hope someone smacks me back into place.. for reals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



one more thing!

Look what I did today while making a yummy mushroom + spinach omlette:



See where my head is????????



Cat on August 17, 2009 at 10:07 p.m. said...

First of all....I'm so glad you're ok. People don't realize how serious heat exhaustion's the first step to heat STROKE which is life threatening! Im so glad you had people there to take care of you.

Second....YAY for WW online. I signed up today again as well.

Third - You are DARN GORGEOUS!!! Such a beauty!

Fourth - I can't WAIT to meet you (I just wrote MeAt....haheheh)

Jaime (Embracing Balance) on August 18, 2009 at 12:06 a.m. said...

Poor Lex!! I'm so glad you are feeling better now.

You'll love WW online. Easy to use and fun to start learning and fiddling around!

Diane, Fit to the Finish on August 18, 2009 at 8:29 a.m. said...

That must have been really scary! I know you are glad to be home.

Good luck with the WW online program!

Life, Health and Fitness on August 18, 2009 at 9:13 a.m. said...

You poor thing, sounds scary. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better now though.

WW Online is great and really easy to use. It takes all the work out of counting calories and provides a huge amount of healthy lifestyle information. Good luck!

sarah on August 18, 2009 at 8:35 p.m. said...

I am so glad you are okay! How scary for you sweetie!!

WW online is awesome. I've been following it for awhile and lost 100+ with it before so if you need any help please feel free to ask me if you want.