Monday, October 5, 2009

Thinking of running... help!

Quick post - more to follow later tonight...

I do not like running - never have. I have long legs and I look funny and feel funny and akward.

I am envious of all of you wonderful runners out there.

Yesterday I did the CIBC run for the cure (yes, I did walk) however a light flickered inside of me after watching all of the folks running and I thought... "Hey... I want to do that too!"

So now I am getting the running bug. I *think* I want to try running in the Bluenose 5K in May 2010 but I have A LOT of work to do.

So... I need your help.

Are there any sites you wonderful bloggies can recommend to learn about training for a run?

I have heard mixed reviews about Couch to 5K... any reasons? What should I do differently?

I am in no way, shape, or form even CLOSE to being an avid runner and I have my work cut out for me so I need to start *from scratch* with this.

Any links/comments/advice you wonderful people can provide me I will greatly appreciate!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned using C25K.

It worked great for me, the only thing that I would recommend is learning to run outside and NOT on a treadmill. I learned on a treadmill and when I went outside to run for the first time I seriously thought I was going to die it was that hard.

You should totally do the Bluenose, it's a blast!!

farm girl. on October 5, 2009 at 7:04 p.m. said...

you & me.
peas & carrots.
long legs & all.
let's do it!

sarah on October 5, 2009 at 9:26 p.m. said...

I am a runner. I may not run the mileage that I once did (5+ a day) but I still consider myself a runner. I cared at first what people thought but after awhile I didn't. C25K is good but I just started running on my own. I would run until I couldn't and then pushed myself more and more everyday. I got the bug and I still have it. I just need to get back to being comfortable with my body before I run in front of people again.

Dana (www.eatsleepgetfit.com) on October 6, 2009 at 1:30 p.m. said...

I'm not a runner, but check out my most recent post on an article I found that inspired me to start again! I'm shooting for my first 5K in 7 weeks!