Monday, October 5, 2009

Run for the cure & homemade pizza!

Earlier today I posted about my desire to start running.  Like I mentioned before, I have zero experience in running.  Well… back in elementary school I was on the track team but I wasn’t ever super speedy but I was always very leggy and awkward…. and I still am!

Walking in this year’s run for the cure was a lot of fun and it got my engine going.  I could easily see that one of my major problems is getting UP and off my ARSE and getting to work!  That morning I had a major hangover (celebrated my SIL’s birthday with a bottle of vino to myself) and I was waking up earlier than what I would on a typical work day.  I was SO wishing I could have just curled over and gone back to sleep but HECK no.  There are THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS of women who live each day with breast cancer and I can’t get up out of bed to represent them and do a 5K walk… umm yeah… I quickly popped out of bed after putting my head in check.

While I was there I realized how much I enjoyed doing the walk.  I enjoyed walking around downtown Halifax (somewhere I have only ever driven through and never really took the time to absorb my surroundings).  Granted – I am sure a lot of the enjoyment was the thousands of people doing the walk with me… seeing the wave of people walking/running up and down the streets… but either way, deep down inside of me something clicked and I got the urge to run!

6834_146303116497_516901497_3187828_1372433_n

6834_146287596497_516901497_3187692_2981200_n 6834_146287536497_516901497_3187689_2392865_n

That day I went to the run with my friend Nadia who’s cousin Alana was diagnosed with breast cancer in March.  For such a wet and dreary day, she came out in her wheelchair with her husband and two kids, backed with a HUGE team of supporters (me included).  One of them (Nadia’s brother) came in 3rd for the male runners… wow!

More info on Alana’s story can be found here.

I am thinking of starting with couch to 5K…since I am the n00best of the n00bs.  Case in point: Doing Amy’s week 2 challenge with Angie and farmgirl and being POOOPED beyond my belief after just a LITTLE bit of jogging.  My endurance is CRAP.  I have got to slowly work my way up and this is what I hope couch to 5K helps me with.

Lynn mentioned that I should do the couch to 5k outdoors and not on a treadmill.  Initially I think it’d be a good way to start – but I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to train in the winter. 

If anyone can offer some a lot of advice, please leave your comments!  Bring ‘em on!

In other news….

Dave & I watched Real Housewives of New Jersey (love it!) and one of the moms made homemade pizza.  Instantly we both got cravings for homemade pizza so you don’t have to guess what was in store for dinner tonight!

Super easy insta-crust:

2 Cups whole wheat flour

1 cup white flour

1 tsp salt

1 TBsp sugar

1 8g package of active dry yeast

2 TBsp extra virgin olive oil

1 Cup warm water

1TBsp basil

 

Pizza toppings:

- Pizza sauce

- turkey sausage

- 1/4 diced spanish onion

- 1 red pepper, diced

- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped

- 1 cup spinach

- topped with shredded mozza cheese

 

  • Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water  & basil. Lightly knead.  Let dough rest while you prep your veggies. 
  • Spread out on a large pizza pan. (The dough was not spreading for me so I did the tossing technique like real pizzachefs do… and I think it helped!!)
  • Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.
  • Pre-cheese & pre-cooked:

    Sept 6-09 011

    All cooked & ready to eat!  Delish!!!

    Sept 6-09 014

     

    Oh – one more tidbit… here’s a pic of Dave & I from our family portrait day we had a few months ago.  This was done by my good friend Christine Newhook.

    ChampagneW_1188

    8 comments:

    Hubert on October 5, 2009 at 9:44 p.m. said...

    I think its pretty cool your running for the cure for breast cancer

    plus you get the benefit of some good healthy exercise :P

    and those pictures of pizza look really appetizing - gona have to try out that recipe some tyme

    farm girl. on October 5, 2009 at 10:06 p.m. said...

    pizza looks so good...looks so good that we'll have to make it, once life settles down!!

    Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) on October 5, 2009 at 11:32 p.m. said...

    Awww...cute pic!

    I love the C25K. You'll be surprised at how quickly you build your endurance!

    Sarah on October 5, 2009 at 11:45 p.m. said...

    beautiful pic!

    Way to go on doing the run for the cure, its a very inspirational day!

    I did c25K program too and loved it.

    Bee on October 6, 2009 at 12:15 a.m. said...

    I think its great your considering taking up running. I started running about 7 months ago and it has been one of the most satisfying experiences. I intitally started with couch to 5k, but then decided to start listening to my body. I ran when I could and walked when I had to, and now I've run 9kms straight!

    P.S. Thanks for taking part in the Run for the Cure, the more people the better. My Mom is a two time survivor and now she's doing triathalons.

    Kim on October 6, 2009 at 9:26 a.m. said...

    aww, you are adorable! love the pic!

    Kari@Onederland on October 6, 2009 at 11:30 a.m. said...

    I love doing benefit walks and totally agree that if these people can battle an illness then I can take one day to get out there for them. The pizza looks absolutely freakin' delicious. That picture of you two is really really nice!!

    H-woman on October 7, 2009 at 7:05 p.m. said...

    Good job on the run for the cure! I know too many people to count that have had breast cancer. A childhood friend just lost her mom a few weeks ago.

    I'd suggest joining a Running Room Learn to Run clinic (I think there's a RR in Halifax). You'll have an instant support group and three runs a week (clinic night, Wednesday and Sunday) organized for you. I've never done the C25K, but I know enough about myself to know that I need that extra push from a group. But that could just be me. =)

    What a great photo of you two! And that pizza looks divine! Guess what's for dinner at my house tonight? (And I'd bought the stuff before I even read your blog!)

    H =)