Sunday, January 3, 2010

Budgeted out!

I haven’t been off to a good start in the healthy start of 2010, however on all other accounts I am shaped up and in a great position to start the year.

* Budget – check!

* Take down tree & rearrange our living room – check!

* Clean out & organize storage room – check!

* Mail some important documents to the gov’t – almost checked (will mail when we actually can get out in this snowstorm)

* Exercise – fail

* Stop eating junk – faiL.

DBF and I spent the better part of last night and I spent all day today fine tuning our 2010 budget.  The budget we were using before wasn’t really friendly to us since we don’t work off a 30 day monthly cycle.  We get paid every 2 weeks and need to arrange our bills, savings, spending money around that.  It was very surprising to see how the change we made to our budget really puts us in a great position this year!  By this time next year we’ll have about $6500 floating around to do great stuff with (put it towards more bills, house fund?, wedding [not engaged but….] fund?, mini vacay?,).  That is very exciting news for us!  The money will likely go towards something having to do with savings or paying more bills rather than a vacation but it’s all good! 

My mom was sweet enough to treat us to a new couch for Christmas this year!  WOW! Seriously, stuff like this is not normal in my family.  We don’t typically do big purchases like this, so this was a nice surprise.  My old couch looked nice but it really wasn’t comfortable.  Also, when several people came over not many people could be seated (maybe 4, comfortably.)  We decided to get a sectional & ottoman to give more seating and just offer more comfort.   Wow, we are super happy with our couch!  It is just a base-model sectional but it looks nice and is super cozy.  What more could we ask for?  The couch is pictured below, and we also got a brown large ottoman as well which kind of doubles as a foot rest/table for junk! :)

couch

It is really about time that I get back to the gym.  I can’t remember the last time I went, but I know I didn’t exercise not ONCE during the holidays. I am really seeing the effects in recent photos of myself.  DBF and I are both signed up for the entire year at our local gym so we really have no excuses.  He hopes to get back into the swing of things, and I really do also.  Now it’s just a matter of creating a schedule to keep us accountable, otherwise we’ll just slack.  Thankfully I have my own cheerleader: farmgirl who keeps me going!  lol.   Also, I got my new kicks a few weeks ago and I haven’t been able to USE them yet.  I was using el cheapo Zellers sneakers which really did a number on my back.  When we ran at the Santa Shuffle a few months back I really had a difficult time with my lower back – but  I am fairly confident that it was a lack of appropriate cushioning in my feet.   These new babies should help with that:

mizuno

Hopefully after going back to work on Monday (booooooooooooooo) we get back into a schedule of sorts which helps us kickstart this year in the right way!

5 comments:

hrclark on January 3, 2010 at 8:02 a.m. said...

Those sneaks look cool. And I totally agree, once everyone gets back to work a scedual is so much easier to follow!

Anonymous said...

I just finished up our annual budget today, I love feeling so organized money-wise, makes like easier!

Love the new couch, tons of room for company!

JavaChick on January 5, 2010 at 10:28 a.m. said...

I have those sneakers! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that couch!

Christine on January 5, 2010 at 5:27 p.m. said...

Hehehe, you stole our couch!! :P kidding! How did you do your budget differently to account for bi-weekly pay cheques?