Sunday, January 3, 2010

Little ear syndrome

I am still not an avid gym goer so I need all the help & motivation I can get.  One of my biggest struggles at the gym is being unable to turn my head ‘off’ so to speak.  I have yet to find my groove and just get in the moment.  I’ve read so much about running being so much of a mental challenge so that is something I need to work on since I so easily let my thoughts drift to crazy things like:  Looking at the time, focusing on how much time is left, how tired I am, the pain I feel, which take over any possibilities of me getting into any sort of groove. 

To help with this, I just created a few playlists to put on my iPod which I cannot wait to try out (along with my new Mizuno shoes).  However, another problem I have is little ear syndrome.  This is not an actual syndrome that you can Google (I don’t think?) but something I have realized is my own problem.  I have teeny tiny ears and finding earbuds that work for me is a challenge.  I have done some research and found a pair of earphones that I would like to obtain, however they are slightly more expensive than what I want to pay right now. 

These guys have these doohickey thingies that sort of twist to fit to your ear which are designed to keep them in without having to jam the suckers in your ear canal.  They are also sweat & water resistant – which is good for gymgoers since I hear the ears sweat a lot??  Best of all, they are in my favorite color:  GREEN!!

earphones

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Twist-Stereo-Sport-Headphones/dp/B000FJEYZS

Amazon.com has them on for a decent price, however they will not ship to me in Canada.  Boo.  Amazon.ca doesn’t have the item listed.  The only place I could find (online) was Tigerdirect or eBay but both charge a lot to ship.  I have seen these earbuds in HMV but they are still expensive there as well.  I think what bugs me is seeing them on Amazon.com for $20 and having to pay at least $50 everywhere else. 

See, if I knew that these suckers would work for me and not give me any pains or problems with falling out, I’d be all over them regardless of the price – but since I have yet to find any earbuds that work well for me I just can’t see spending the $ just yet.

We’ll see how it goes.  I may just bite the bullet because they do have good reviews and I like the weird design that will likely help my problem with buds not staying still in my ear.  It is quite hard to get in a groove when all you are focusing on is your earbuds staying in place.

Does any one have any other suggestions for earbuds for small ears?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with ear buds. I can't wear them ever because they hurt my poor ears if I try to squeeze them in.

I have to get dorky looking ones that clip on my ears. Would love to find a proper pair of buds because my currents ones always slip on when I'm running outside.

Looking forward to seeing what other peeps have to say!

Jaime on January 3, 2010 at 7:26 p.m. said...

Honestly, the best ones I ever had were the ones that originally came with my iPod. Of course, those are also like $45 to replace...annoying.

When I bought my new ones, I complained on my blog about them falling out of my ears and like 10 people said to buy Skull Candy. Again, pricey.

In the end, I just fitted those little old-school foam covers over mine and they work great now. They will slip out eventually if I'm really sweaty, but I can usually get at least an hour of my workout done before I start having probs.

Good luck!!

Jen on January 3, 2010 at 11:45 p.m. said...

I use the old headband style when I am at the gym because I too have little ears (which is funny, because I hear this from EVERYONE, so they why don't they make them smaller???)

I have a FABULOUS pair of earbuds, but they are from swarovski and they are my fancy earphones and I don't wear them at the gym...so that doesn't really help at all!!!

sophia on January 4, 2010 at 12:17 a.m. said...

I have the same problem with ear buds!! They always fall off and it's such a bother! I just purchased a headband one. I hope that stays!