Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What happened to common courtesy?

It’s Tuesday.

Aka – Zumba day! 

For the past few weeks Zumba has been my Tuesday night activity, and I ALWAYS look forward to it. 

Tonight it was a miss, though.  And it was my fault.  I had plans to meet farmgirl at Goodlife to go to our Zumba class but I got off a bit late from work, struggled to find something quick to eat (mini pizza I popped in the oven.  Nice choice.. I know… *sigh*) and by the time I got to Goodlife the lineup was insane! 

The class only holds about 30 people – fire marshal's orders.  We were just past that.  Boo. 

The good news is that Nubody’s now has Zumba classes so we’ll try one at Nubody’s tomorrow instead.

The gym was PACKED today.  There were no lockers so I guess it was a good thing that we coudln’t attend class.  There is no way I could leave my purse out in the open unlocked. 

You know what grinds my gears – people with the common courtesy equivalent to that of a sand bag:

Since there were no lockers available, farmgirl and I took our time getting changed.  The Body Pump class was just about to get out so we knew someone would come get their stuff and leave.

As we were waiting, a girl came out from the washroom area – all showered, changed and ready to go.  She opened her locker and appeared as though she was getting ready to leave, but instead of grabbing all of her stuff and letting someone have her locker, she took her sweet ass time standing in front of her locker putting on a sweater, then lip chap, having a sip of water, putting stuff in the locker, only to take stuff out again (at one point we thought she was re-locking up her stuff to leave overnight because it was clear that she was not going to be working out again) packing clothes, rearranging her bags, fidgeting with her lock, her keys... 

Seriously?

Everything she did was also at a snail’s pace.

I have taken shorter poops than that!  (OK – I may have the ability to power poop, but still.)

Just get the hell out of the way!  Grab your shit, move over and let someone have your locker.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people lacking common courtesy.  It’s in all aspects of each of our lives.  The above example and the few listed below really get me going! 

Someone emails you?  Email them back! 

You ask someone for help?  Acknowledge the help they’ve given by giving a simple, 'Thanks’.

Walking into a store/building?  Hold the door for the person 1 step behind you!

Anyway – instead of Zumba, we had decided on going for a run.  Wouldn’t you know it… all of the treadmills were occupied.  It was sure a busy night!  We rode the bikes for about 10mins but I was having some weird tummy/bladder issues (felt a lot of pressure in that area) so we decided to call it a night and took off.

So in the end this is a good news story:

1 – We did make it to the gym!

2 - I burned 80cals on the bike lol

3 – We rescheduled our session to tomorrow night where we’ll zumba our booties off and run like crazy women!

Oh – sorry if some of you thought the poop talk was TMI.  I simply see it as: everybody poops.  :)

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more! Excellent post!

Jamie


@fitforamom on Twitter
www.fitforamom.wordpress.com

Angela Power on January 13, 2010 at 8:54 a.m. said...

hehehehe

Nicely put!! I completely agree 100%! Common courtesy should be a GIVEN and if everyone participated the world would be so NICE wouldn't it?!

I gotta get my ass back to the gym!

Espressomama on January 13, 2010 at 9:25 a.m. said...

That's why I hate the gym in January!

JavaChick on January 13, 2010 at 10:58 a.m. said...

Can't say you didn't try anyway. Good luck with your Zumba class tonight.

And yeah, it's been awhile since I had a gym membership, but I seem to remember people taking their sweet time clearing out when it was obvious there were people waiting for a locker. Definitely frustrating.

Tiff on January 13, 2010 at 12:12 p.m. said...

Agreed! And no- poop talk is not TMI- as you said oh so eloquently- everyone poops :)

Good job!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. When I'm leaving the gym and it's busy - and people are coming in (such as last night!) I grab all my stuff from my locker and get myself ready using only the bench - so someone else can grab my locker.

And also agreed - you didn't just go home after seeing the Zumba lineup - you burned 80 calories instead of 0!!

Jen on January 13, 2010 at 4:15 p.m. said...

*laughs* as my niece says "Everybody crap" (okay okay, so it might supposed to be "Everybody Clap" but still...)
:)

Sorry that you had to miss out on Zumba!!! But at least you get to look forward to it tonight!!!

I COMPLETELY agree on the common courtesy...I get SO annoyed with people who don't take the time for simple courtesy!!!!