Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ice Cream Goodness

The other day I mentioned how Halifax was missing some of my favorite foods from out west.  One of those happens to be my favorite ice cream flavor – Tiger Tail.

There are several ice cream places around for tourists that I’ve taken a peek at however none of them have my beloved Tiger Tail ice cream.

Tiger Tail ice cream is orange sorbet with black licorice and is ABSOLUTELY DIVINE!

When I went grocery shopping a few months back, Sobeys had a “Tiger Ice Cream” and when I saw it at the store I almost pooped myself!! The picture of the ice cream on the container didn’t look very ‘orangey’ but I HAD to give it a go.  As soon as I took it home, I cracked that sucker open and had a spoonful.

Nuh uh – not even close.  There was nothing orangey or black licorice-y about it.  I was pretty disappointed.  It kind of just tasted like vanilla… unusually colored vanilla ice cream.  Boo!

Last summer when Dave & I went back to Edmonton, we headed to one of the big fairs.  We stopped for lunch indoors in one of the food court areas and one of the food booths selling ice cream had Tiger ice cream.  So we waited in the line for me to get a scoop – literally my mouth was watering.  I COULD NOT believe that it has been so long since I had a taste of the orangey/licoricey goodness.  As soon as it was my turn in line, they changed their menu board and removed the “Tiger” sign and replaced it with “vanilla”. 

The person in front of me had the last scoop.

I could have cried!

The other week when my dad was here we headed to Superstore to pick up some groceries.  I am not sure why I was even looking in the ice cream section as admittedly, ice cream is not one of my indulgences.  But… I looked, and there it was.  I swear bloggies, I am sure I heard angels singing!

IMG_2944

They even had it on sale – 2 cartons for $7.  Sooo…. of course I bought the two!

This, my friends, hit-the-spot.  It is 97% as I remember.  The taste is exactly what I have been missing but I like it as a hard ice cream.  This was a softer texture but I can suffice!

Thank you Atlantic Superstore!!

IMG_2946

2 comments:

Jaime on March 23, 2010 at 1:06 p.m. said...

yay!

Funny enough, I hate black licorice but Tiger was one of my faves as a kid too. I bet I haven't had it since I was like 12.

(oddly we just called it Tiger...not Tiger Tail...weird)

Angela Power on March 23, 2010 at 2:13 p.m. said...

OMG thank god!!!! I was seriously starting to reeeeeally feel bad for you missing so many things from home!!!

Yayyy!!!!