Tuesday, March 23, 2010

First BBQ of the year!

Monday night we decided to heat up the ol’ BBQ and make some steaks.  What a fantastic decision!  A great way to start the new season!

On the menu:

Tenderloin Steak – cooked to perfection

Green beans

Scalloped Potatoes with Mushrooms – Courtesy of Dairy Goodness

Scalloped potatoes are one of my favorite sides.  It was a dish my mom would make all of the time, but sadly I never learned how to make it.  Dave had a craving for it, so I took a peek on the Dairy Goodness website and saw a recipe that looked easy enough for me to try!

Scalloped Potatoes with Mushrooms

1/3 cup (75 ml) all-purpose flour, divided
3 cups (750 ml) Milk
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
3/4 tsp (4 ml) each dried thyme (I had no thyme, so I used dried basil & Epicure’s Herb & Garlic spice) and pepper
4 cups (1 L) sliced fresh mushrooms (about 10 oz/300 g)
6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup (250 ml) shredded Canadian Swiss or Cheddar cheese

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease or spray 13 x 9 inch (3 L) glass baking dish.

In saucepan, whisk 1/4 cup (50 ml) of the flour into Milk; stir in garlic, onion, salt, thyme and pepper. Over medium-high heat, bring to boil while whisking. Cook and whisk for about 5 min or until thickened.

In large bowl, toss mushrooms with remaining flour.

Layer half of the potatoes in prepared dish; cover with mushrooms. Spread half of the Milk mixture over top; layer with remaining potatoes. Spread remaining Milk mixture over top; sprinkle with cheese.

Bake, uncovered, for about 50 min or until golden and bubbling and potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 min before serving.

IMG_2961

Honestly – these bad boy taters were amazing!  So easy to make and so tasty!  It’s not my moms recipe but definitely one that I could use again.

This dinner was so, so, so tasty!  The steaks were BBQ’d to perfection.  I love my steak medium rare and that is exactly what I got. 

Mmm – I am so happy BBQ season has begun! 

IMG_2965

6 comments:

Unknown on March 24, 2010 at 12:54 a.m. said...

Looks sooo good. I miss home cooked dinners...

Lex on March 24, 2010 at 12:57 a.m. said...

Oh my - I called my steak pork tenderloin.
What the heckers - so sleepy, I'll edit that tomorrow :)

Alison Fay on March 24, 2010 at 12:48 p.m. said...

Looks amazing! THe picture of the scalloped potatoes is lovely. The 1st bbq of the year is always exciting, spring has sprung.

tash on March 25, 2010 at 8:17 p.m. said...

That looks delicious! The Tiger Tail ice cream looks really yummy too!

Kyla Roma on March 25, 2010 at 11:46 p.m. said...

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing!! We've been playing with our BBQ too and it's just so much fun to be out on the deck when you can still see your breath.

Hello from Winnipeg! =)

Jaime on March 28, 2010 at 8:04 p.m. said...

OMG...I heart me some scalloped taters!! My Mom makes fab ones so I've never really tried to make them for fear of sucking. LOL.