Sunday, May 16, 2010

1 Week away!

Alright, so I know I’ve been MIA for a while.  I will likely still be in and out here and there but I want to ensure I have something written down (for me to reflect on) when later on I read about my first 5K race.

Seriously folks, it’s 1 week away from today!!

Even though I haven’t been blogging, I’ve still been training when time permits.  I haven’t ran in almost a week but if you click my daily mile widget to the right you will be able to track my shizzz.

Right now I’m in kind of a freak-out mode.  Seriously… one week away.  6 days ago I finally completed 5k in my training plan… huge accomplishment for me… but it took about 50 minutes to do that.  I’m wanting to run my race in between 30-35 minutes but I have zero confidence that is going to happen.

Trying to stay positive here and really trying not to be negative about it…but it’s like I haven’t been able to push past a running mental barrier with myself.  I read about the fantastic progress other people have made (Hello, and so i ran! You inspire me like you have no idea!!) and then assess my situation and I feel like I haven’t really accomplished much.

I’m still running at a SLOW pace on the dreadmill (4.5-5ish).

I’ve still got CRAZY heavy feet that I can’t seem to push through.

I still find ways to talk myself out of pushing past the next minute in training (“oh, just walk an extra minute instead of run…”)

Blah.

I would freaking LOVE to run the 5k through and through, no walks… but I can barely manage 3-5minute runs!  How the frig can I run 3.1miles straight through?

Angie sent me an amazing email last week that really got me pumped.  It was perfect timing and of course said all of the right things… I just have to get past my own mental blocks and figure this out.

Regardless, however this madness turns out, I AM going to have fun!  It’s my birthday and I’ll be running a 5K, AND super special girls from the West coast will be here to cheer me on, AND I’ll be running the race with super special local girls!  There’s no way it won’t be fun!

I bought myself a pair of cute running shorts over the weekend – I was going to get a super cute running skirt, but I’ll be wearing black Zensah leg compression sleeves so I decided to just stick with shorts.  (fashion faux pas?)

It’s SO windy here and where I live is quite elevated (which equals even MORE wind) so I decided to do tonight’s run indoors.  I got dressed, accessorized with Garmin & Zensah, went downstairs to the treadmill but damn… the light was on which meant someone was already in there.  (I don’t do small spaces well and I don’t want to run in a mini home gym when someone else is in there LOL). SOOOOOOOOOOOO because it’s already 8pm I’ll be postponing my run to tomorrow. 

The training schedule is to run 10 walk 1 until I hit 5K but I’m going to just try running the sucker and taking walk breaks when/and if needed throughout – while maintaining a focus on running straight through.  It’ll be like a mini race trial.

We’ll see how that goes!

7 comments:

Claudia on May 16, 2010 at 8:16 p.m. said...

Lex you can totally do it!!
I would go with the run 10min and walk 1min instead of trying to run the whole thing... You might run out of steam. PLUS there are plenty of people that run Marathons with the 10/1 rule.

You have been training hard and you will do great and have fun doing it.

hrclark on May 16, 2010 at 8:17 p.m. said...

keep up the positive thoughts and remember once you are there with all the people and excitement you just might surprise yourself!

farm girl. on May 16, 2010 at 9:36 p.m. said...

WHEE!!!!

we will have so much fun. I am sure we will all motivate each other to keep on going, just that little bit more..it'll be all good!

Psst. What did you get for shorts? I've been dreaming of Lulu...

5 more sleeps!!!!!!!!!

Cat on May 17, 2010 at 1:00 p.m. said...

You're going to do amazing. Who cares if you don't run the whole thing? Just the fact that you're going to TRY, makes you amazing in my eyes, and I'm so proud of you. Don't beat yourself up, because regardless of how fast/long you run, you're an inspiration, and we are all so proud of you!

xoxo
Cat

Anonymous said...

Good luck! When my legs feel heavy during a run, I just tell myself to keep running no matter how slow. When the pressure to go faster isn't there, it's easier to keep going. I'm rooting for you!

Anonymous said...

Lex, I am so excited for you. And the fact that you are running this race on your (our ;) Birthday is even cooler. I think it's the best present you can give yourself. For your first race, don't sweat the small stuff. Go out there and have fun. Walk if you need to. There is nothing wrong with taking walking breaks. And honestly time does not matter. Finishing your first race is the most amazing feeeling in the world.

I am so excited for you. And you can bet that I will be cheering you on and sending you some happy b-day vibes! YAY for you, you are going to be amazing!

fittingbackin on May 18, 2010 at 3:53 p.m. said...

Best of luck - i'm glad you're getting such great advice - you can totally do this!! No freak-out mode for you! :)