Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Day 3 & a bit of a background

Ok, yes, so I didn't comment on day 2 at the gym, but it did go well!! Day 2 was monday, and it was seemingly harder than Day 1. I didn't stay as long..only 45 minutes this time, but I was definitely feeling it.

I did the circuit on Day 1, and I met a piece of equipment that has been terrorizing the insides of my thighs ever since.

Meet the hip adductor machine:


This machine has absolutely killed the insides of my thighs. I know I didn't overdo it, and that I'm just entirely out of shape, but holy hell it's sure a bitch!

Day 2 went well as I did a bunch of cardio. I am not fond of jogging/running, but I did a bit of that, and then the bike, elyptical and then the recumbant bike.

(Tuesday was my rest day) I had planned on using my windsor pilates video, but I decided against it, and just had a chill night instead.

Today (Wed) was Day 3 of the gym. My boyfriend, Dave, came with me which was nice. We're both in this gym deal together. We did some cardio again, then did the circuit just like we did on Day 1. I had to tango with the hip adductor machine once again, and as soon as I sat down and got into position \I could feel the pain once again.
I did a few sets of 15 with a moderate weight, and I was good. I definitely didn't overdo it and I felt good leaving the gym, and still do.

I have to say, I'm quite proud of myself with this gym membership. I am very much the type to get bored of things, and just give up, but I can't see that happening with the gym.
I've never been a gym-goer before. When I was young I was one of those people everyone loves to hate, with a crazy high metabolism. I could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and nothing would happen. It was quite sad, because I remember whispers and rumors about people thinking I was anorexic because of how thin I was.
It is absolutely something that must run in my family, because my older cousin was the same, and my youngest cousin is the same. We were all tiny, but soon the inevitable happens....... the Ukrainian in us makes an appearance and all of a sudden we've got hips.

I never really thought much about what I consumed. The only time I was concerned was years back I was constantly weak and sleepy, which was because I was lacking a lot of iron.

Other than that, I've never been the type to look at the nutrition labels on food. I couldn't ever be bothered. That was my ignorance.

Since I left a crazy emotionally abusive relationship a few years ago (for me, stress prevents me from putting on the pounds), and since I stopped smoking, the extra pounds have been adding up. I am quite tall, and for whatever reason when I gain weight it is disproportionate to my entire body.
First I packed on the pounds in my ass... but sideways, not JLo-esque. So, I had a supersized hourglass-type figure.
Second, I gained weight in my stomach. Instead of the extra weight being distributed throughout my body, it simply went straight to my gut in an unflattering round shape. Rumors would go around that I was pregnant, because my belly grew roundish, but nothing else really grew. LOL

Oh well.

These growths have happened since meeting Dave. They say love "helps" you gain weight. Well that happened to me. Coincidental, who knows.

The only positive to the weight gain is the boob growth. Unfortunately small boobs also run in my family, but the added weight helps that situation. I'm hoping I can keep some of them with my new fitness regime, but we'll see.

I never really took any steps to get fit and tone up. Last year we went on vacation to Cuba, and I just accepted my unhappiness with what I saw in the mirror. I sucked it up and enjoyed myself in the bikini. This year, I'm aware that I've gained a few extra pounds, and would like to reduce my weight just a bit before my trip.

Lately I'm making more of a conscious effort to be mindful of what I'm consuming, as well as the activities I do. (Yay Fitday.com for helping me keep track).

All in all, I'm in no way saying I'm fat or obese. I'm simply unhappy with my body. I know what it can look like if I made an effort, and that's what I'm aiming towards.


Wow, that was long winded, scatterbrained, and a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but it's a bit of a background to moi.

Can't wait for Day 4!


btw.. r.i.p Heath Leger

2 comments:

Sarah on January 24, 2008 at 12:28 p.m. said...

Yeah that hip abductor can be a pain!!

And relationships=gaining weight, totally!! My previous serious relationship is where I went from ~140 lbs to about 200lbs in about 2 years.

I now have a VERY supportive bf who will eat all my healthy cooking (and has learned to like it!) because he knows how important it is to me to NEVER go back to that weight.

Your current boyfriend sounds like he's being awesome, joining the gym with you is pretty cool! I'm still working on that one with mine.

Lex on January 24, 2008 at 10:36 p.m. said...

Oh my boyfriend is defnitely awesome! He's been battling the bulge for years, and struggled with it on his own, so I think he appreciates me getting to gym and healthy living.

It's nice to have the support. Whether they join you or not, it's the support that matters, and it sounds like we're very lucky!!