Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Yay I was tagged!!

Jenn had tagged me to sum up my life in 6 words - memoir style, not motto style.

so here goes:

It made me a stronger woman.


Through my life I've had a lot of ups and downs. I've been so independent since the age of 14. I love my family, but I do not have one of those close-nit families, and for that, I've learned to be self-reliant.
I had a very rebellious teenage life. I did a lot of things that I don't necessarily regret, but I no longer agree with. I do not regret anything that I've done.
Hense the 'it made me a stronger woman'.

I also was in a very emotionally abusive relationship for 5 very long years. I was never physically abused (thank goodness) but sometimes I wished that it'd come to that so I could take extra steps to leave my situation. I was kind of a prisoner in my own home. Anyone who has not been in that situation before, can never see things as how they actually are. I've always heard people say, 'why doesn't she just leave'. It really, really isn't that easy.
Sparing you a lot of the awful details, just know:
It made me a stronger woman.

I now live life a happier person. The relationship has had a big effect on me, however, each day i try to learn from it and grow as a person. Unfortunately Dave takes the brunt of my 'personal development', however i am so lucky to have such a patient & loving boyfriend.

Another thing to add: I moved across the country (from Alberta, Canada to Nova Scotia, Canada) ALL BY MYSELF!! That's HUGE to me!! no one in my family has done a move like that. We really are a family who has settled in Edmonton and lives life as it comes. For me, things changed when I met Dave. (we met through work. we worked in a the same department, but a country apart. We had to talk quite a bit over the phone and online... eventually i went to visit him, and then he came to visit me 2x, then I moved across the country to be with him. We've been together for 2+ years since!) You can definitely say that move, well, It made me a stronger woman.

there will be more life lessons and experiences which help me grow as a woman (wow, I never really speak of myself as a 'woman'. I still feel like a kid at heart!!)

that's all for me.

I now tag:

Sarah

Christine
Bi0nicw0man

5 comments:

Jenn on April 2, 2008 at 6:50 a.m. said...

Wow, Lex, what a fantastic answer to the question. You have such a positive outlook on where your life has taken you.
Before I met matt I was in a semi-abusive relationship (completely verbally abusive). It got to the point where I felt like no one else would love me so I wasn't strong enough to leave. But I met Matt and he helped me leave. I'm sorry that you had to go through what you went through, I completely understand why you can't just leave sometimes.
I'm so happy for you that you found Dave and have him in your life.
And WOW - moving across the country to be with him. How awesome it is that you did that.
I'm so glad I got up early to read blogs and that I read this. It is going to make me appreciate everything I've been blessed with today.
Have a great day Lex!!

Sarah on April 2, 2008 at 9:07 a.m. said...

This is an awesome post! And as one of those people who probably would have asked the question you wrote "why doesn't she just leave?", CONGRATULATIONS! because you did leave, you did get out of it. That takes so much more strength than so many people in this world have.

Cat on April 2, 2008 at 12:48 p.m. said...

WOw Lex....first of all, I'm creeped out, because I JUST WROTE a post about almost the same freaking things!!

Second of all, Wow....how brave are you?!! Moving across the country to be with Dave is an amazing accomplishment. You are so strong, and so brave, and I hope you are so proud of the strong woman you are today.

Jen on April 2, 2008 at 1:04 p.m. said...

I love your motto Lex (or your description, not sure what to call it)...you are an amazing WOMAN and it seems like everything DID make you stronger...

I would be the #1 person to say "well why don't you leave?" but if I were to think for a second...NOTHING is really just that easy...sorry to hear you went through it, but glad to hear that you are better for it...

It's also better for your new relationship...I think it's great that he helped you through it...

Erin on April 2, 2008 at 8:54 p.m. said...

Awesome post! I love how your 6 words could relate to so many parts of your life - negative and positive! I think that your 6 words can make us all think about so many things in our life that have made us stronger, maybe without us knowing it at the time.