Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ms. Crankypants

Ugh, I don't like feeling this way... I am just super duper cranky.

I just got home from cake decorating class, and let me tell you: my broken hearted/funky frosted cake was absoLUTELY the worst looking cake ever! I have no idea how my coworkers are going to eat the cake tomorrow hahah! The decorating part was fun, but tiring. My right wrist is aching!!
Next week we get to make cupcakes (which is why I joined the class anyway) so it'll be fun!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I have Monday off. Yay long weekend! I am from Alberta so we've always had family day, but Ontario just started doing that vacay a couple years ago. Since my works' main office is in Ontario they got the workers to place a vote on whether they wanted to have Family day off in Feb or Rememberance Day off in November. Everyone voted for February which works for me!

Sooo... why am I Ms.Crankypants. Well..... I just got off the phone with my bff who's getting married in the summer. She lives in Alberta, and she picked another friend of hers to be maid of honor. I am cool with that, cuz it'd be a little difficult for me to do that from all the way over here. (and, i'm sure they've formed quite a bond over the years: hanging out together, having kids around the same age, living close to one another, yada yada)
Anyway, when she asked me to be in her wedding party I agreed. She was pretty open and flexible with what everyone was going to wear, cuz it was going to just be me and the other girl in the party. Now there is one more (still cool with me), but the rules were still just pick an Alfred Angelo dress, in her specified color.
Now, all of her friends are SKINNY MINNIES. Seriously, I am not not extremely large by any means, but I am compared to these girls. So I wanted to go with a chiffon, knee length, empire style dress. I like the look of chiffon better than the satin style, and *I* think it'd be more form flattering (ie: hide the belly bulge). The maid of honor girl has something against her legs (no idea) so she's wanted to wear a long dress (something i am *not* a fan of). Still that has been no problem because I've only been told to pick the dress I want, in the color she wants.
I just got off the phone with my girlfriend who's asked if I've gone dress shopping yet (I haven't... bad me.) and she starts telling me that she was looking at the dresses i showed her earlier that i liked and that she thinks chiffon won't be as form flattering... that it'll make my bulge more obvious. She then tells me about the dress that MOH will be wearing and how she wants me to be in a similar dress, so she wants the satin style.
Meanwhile, i hear the MOH in the background saying, 'yeah and it has to be long'.
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh
So now she showed me 4 dresses that she wants me to look at. All of them would look great on thin, slender girls. All of them are long, very tight to the body, and in all honesty... very 'old' looking. Some were belted, unusual lines. I don't know... just not me.
See, my problem is that I've had to pay a LOT of money to go back home to the wedding, AND I have to pay for my dress. So I justified it to myself because the bride always told me to get a dress I wanted, cuz it could be one that i could wear again.
Well.. that is no longer the case.
I cannot stand any of the dresses... like even a little. they're all long cuz the MOH wants long for some odd reason (no GOOD reason really... her legs are fine) so it just makes me cranky.

Am I just being selfish?
Shouldn't I just suck it up and go with what the bride (*cough* MOH) wants?

bahh....

Oh... pics of the cake to follow shortly...

6 comments:

Amy on February 12, 2009 at 11:36 p.m. said...

Unfortunately, yeah, you probably have to go with what the bride (er - MOH) wants. I'm sorry!

The bright side is that I'm sure you'll be feeling super hot by the time the wedding comes along!

DietCokeStraightUp on February 13, 2009 at 1:25 a.m. said...

I'm so sorry you're having a bad day. I agree with the above comment, you sorta have to go with what the bride wants. And I'm sure you are just having a bad day!

Jaime on February 13, 2009 at 11:18 a.m. said...

Can you try to talk to her again without the MOH sitting in the background? She might be more receptive to your feelings if she isn't being influenced.

Also, maybe you could compromise. You could go with the satin but still in your desired style? That way you are all in the same material, so you still pretty much match.

I suppose it all depends if it's a super matchy-matchy wedding.

Good luck girl! And just remember to have fun no matter what you are wearing!!

Kari@Onederland on February 13, 2009 at 11:31 a.m. said...

Sorry to hear that your in a funk of a mood. This certainly didn't help matters I'm sure. I know what your feeling, I've always been the biggest girl as a bridesmaid and haven't exactly loved the dresses, paid a fortune for them, not to mention the costs to go back home for the weddings. So no you are not selfish for feeling the way you are...but yes you do have to suck it up. Hope your having a better day today!

sarah sundae on February 13, 2009 at 6:33 p.m. said...

Weddings can be tough that way. I was MOH a long time ago for a friend and ended up with the worst dress ever for someone who was that size (I was pretty heavy back then). My suggestion is maybe you let your friend who is getting married how you feel and maybe see what she says? I let me girls pick out their dress so it wouldn't turn into this.

Cat on February 14, 2009 at 4:37 a.m. said...

Ugh! Weddings are such a financial burden for the wedding party, especially when travelis involved.

I was a 'best woman' in my best friends wedding and my dress was $230 and I had to pay EXTRA for longer length!

The thing about weddings though, is that if you agree to participate, you have to expect a financial commitement, which SUCKS!!!

You'll look gorgeous in any dress Lex....You're so beautiful and full of life that nobody would pay attention to any tummy bulge.

Hugs pretty!1