Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Cakes

So I was going to post a picture of just tonight's cake, but I figure, hey ... why not show my progression?

I've done some digging and found some pictures of the cakes/cupcakes I've made for my decorating class.

-Disclaimer: I usually always leave my preparation to the very last day (Wednesday night) where I have to bake the cakes, make tonnes of icing, etc and it really gets tiring! By the time I get to class I really am not that vested in it, and don't really care about my performance.... and it shows, but it's still fun!

Anyway here goes:

First cake ever - Valentines heart - the friggen heart broke so I had to try and cover it with my decorating. Oh and my icing was terrible! Red turned into flamingo pink! And the frosting I used to frost the cake was made incorrectly: I lumped all of the wet with the dry ingredients and mixed alltogether which is a no-no.
Learning lessons!!






The next class I made what I love... cupcakes! I love to make cupcakes. Everyone else did some creepy clown cake, but I stuck with cupcakes. The instructions said to bring and decorate 8 but I couldn't bring only EIGHT cupcakes to work, so I made and brought 24. I wanted and needed to decorate them all so I just did easy decorating - easy "dots" which we learned, and some flowers.







The next cake was a disaster. This is where we learned the infamous "Wilton Rose". I had NO luck with the rose! My icing was wayy too "Slippery" and would always slide off of the rose holder maker tool. In the end I got 2 roses out of it, I was frustrated, and just drew "TGFO" which was Thank God February's Over. Surprisingly, as ghetto as this cake looked, it was eaten even FASTER than the cupcakes!



Now, for the final cake of course 3.
Throughout this course we made flowers out of Royal Icing (the really hard icing). We got to save them for the 4th week where we learned basket weaving.
Everyone made this cake which is part of the lesson book:


YEAUP! *I* made that!!! All by myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't like a lot of my larger flowers, and I didn't want to be conventional. So I did this instead:


It definitely was the most unique of the class. Everyone did a white cake and made it look like the book but mine was different! I used the apple blossoms I made in week 2 and just treated them as Cherry Blossoms!

Yeah!

FINALLY .... SUCCESS!!!

We have 1 week off before we start Course 3 which is nice for the break BUT that means I will miss the GRAND FINALE cake in the 4th week where we make a double tiered wedding cake. (I will be in Dominican for this week.) It's kind of saddening only because I know there had been a possibility of not missing the class that week (if they didn't break for 1 week), but that's my luck.

so much fun!



In other news - WI day is tomorrow. I managed to shred 2x this week, and I have been eating better.... much better!
We shall see what happens! I predict no change, but we'll see!

**For the record... I did not have one bite of any of the cakes OR cupcakes.... For whatever reason I have NO desire to eat what I baked/decorated... I'm just like that!**

*** For another record: all of the cakes/cupcakes listed here were (sadly) made out of a box. I NEVER like to make my cupcakes from a box - I always do them from scratch, but I coudln't handle doing any more preparing!!!***

7 comments:

sarah on March 26, 2009 at 11:12 p.m. said...

I had no luck making roses, either. I MADE those creepy clowns and ugh. Like you I also brought all my stuff to work and never ate any of it. That was then though...ha ha. Good luck on the weigh in!!!

Mom on the Run on March 26, 2009 at 11:26 p.m. said...

Your cakes are amazing! I wish I could do that! Great blog!

Erin on March 27, 2009 at 11:16 a.m. said...

I love that last cake! It is really, really good! And I know how hard it is to do those cakes - some of mine were disasters.

Sophia Lee on March 27, 2009 at 1:24 p.m. said...

I agree! I NEVER bake cakes from a box either. not only is it cheaper to bake from scratch, it's so much more tastier!
I LOVED the last cake! It looks so professionally done! you're one amazing cake-decorator!

Hotch Potchery on March 27, 2009 at 6:19 p.m. said...

There is a cake class at our Hobby Lobby, you are inspiring me!

eurydice on March 27, 2009 at 7:36 p.m. said...

wow i can see real improvement. and now i want cake dammit.

Cat on March 29, 2009 at 2:53 a.m. said...

I love your cakes.....

Great job getting your Shred in....I hate that video, even though I love how i feel when I'm done, I pretty much want to kick Jillian through the TV....