Sunday, March 28, 2010

Back to the pavement

Alright, so you’re hearing it here first.

My running training schedule *officially* commences tomorrow.  Back in January, I had started training for a 10k race in May but life basically got in the way and I had no chance to train.  Poor excuse?  Well – it is what it is. 

I started to begin stressing over the 10K.  I mean… I really, really wanted to do the 10K and a big part of me still does however I have left myself next to no training time and I’m not the kind of gal who can just pick up and run 10K.  This gal has next to no endurance.

After a lot of thinking I decided to opt out of the 10K and see if I could switch to the 5K instead.  See, 5K is doable.  I have walked one and shuffled another but I’ve never raced the actual 5K distance.  I sent an email to the Bluenose race coordinator and was switched to the 5K… easy-peasy.

I feel SO relieved!  A huge amount of stress has been knocked off my shoulders.

I can do this!

My 8 week training schedule is in place in a nifty excel spreadsheet on my computer and printed out so I can highlight my completion to my hearts desire.

Here’s a peek at week one which starts tomorrow:

run

W=walk, R=Run, C=Cool down

As you can see, the schedule is pretty light – but it’ll help me get back into the swing of things.

In the next few weeks I hope to be able to blog about my runs – provided time permits.  We are still EXTREMELY busy so my blogging time has been scarce.  I do know the value that blogging can provide – especially in this running journey so I want to have it written down.

Maybe by this time next year I can do the 10K or even a 1/2 marathon.  *eek!!*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it Lex!!! Let me know if you ever want to run together, I would love it if a group of us could get out together for a few KM.

Christine on March 29, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. said...

Looking great!! If you ever need a jogging partner let me know! I'm having issues with injuries so I'm not running as long as I used to be. And I'm going to try keeping it on trails as much as possible.