Saturday, April 10, 2010

Coming clean

Sadly I have missed my last 2 run sessions.  As of yesterday I should have completed Week 2, sessions 2 & 3 so that Monday I start week three.

A few things have played into me being “tardy for the party”:

- After my run on Monday – my calves were KILLING me!  The one little hill I on the run TOTALLY did a number on my calves and I’ve been struggling with them for a few days now.  After a period of time where they're not used (after sitting for a while, or when I first wake up in the morning) they are so tensed up that when I do stand, I almost fall over.  Gahh.  It’s kind of an annoying feeling!

- I did go to “warm yoga” with Jaime on Wednesday in lieu of my run and in hopes of loosening me up.  It definitely loosened me up BUT also left me with sore muscles for the past 2 days.  The session was SO much fun but I was struggling throughout.  I wasn’t familiar with the moves/poses (my first class) and I am plain, ol’ out-of-shape which had me shaking the whole way!  It kind of feels like I’ve been run over by a truck.  Today I feel better but the past 2 days were literally full body pains haha.

- Last but not least, one of the biggest reasons I haven’t exercised this week is:

WE BOUGHT OUR FIRST HOUSE!!!

Over the past few months we’ve been on the househunting prowl.  We’re tired of spending money on someone ELSE’S mortgage, and REALLLY tired of the smokers in the building who’s smoke gets into our apartment.  EW!  We’ve complained but the landlord can’t figure it out, so we’ve just had enough.

We were pretty top-secret about the house hunting because we didn’t want to get our hopes up.  We started in a season where it wasn’t very active and it’s very easy for friends/family to get excited in the process – a few deals fell through and having to deal with it together was stressful enough, before adding friends & family + others’ questions & opinions.  I don’t know if it was the best decision – but it did definitely work for us.

This place we bought was pretty crazy.  The house was listed this past Tuesday, our realtor saw it and wanted us to see it ASAP so she got us in to view it right after work.  We loved it and wrote our offer there at the table.  After the typical counter offers here and there, we ended up accepting an offer the following afternoon, making the house ours!  Super fast!

Silly me didn’t take any photos of it – not sure what we were thinking but we’ll be back to take some pics.

Some of the specs/highlights:

Semi (Duplex)

3+1 bedroom (ours; our new roommates room; Dave’s music room; & guest room/my non-scrapbooking scrapbooking room)

3+1 BATHROOMS!!!

huge master with walk-in closet & ensuite bathroom

lots of storage (much needed)

nice kitchen with a CONVECTION oven (yay!)

new front loader washer & dryer

huge double decker deck with fenced back yard

We are pretty excited.  The location is a bit further away from work but not a bad drive at all.  Just a quick hop on the highway and about 10-15minutes will take us straight to work.

In addition to my running training I’ll definitely be posting about this whole process. It’s very crazy, that’s for sure!  We just signed our mortgage papers so next up is inspection, lawyer stuff, etc. 

We don’t move until the end of July (lonnnnnnnnnnnng closing) but it does give us PLENTY of time to pack (and PURGE) and get prepared for the new house. 

I plan on doing some DIY projects for the new house so we don’t have to spend a tonne of $ on new furniture.  I want to look at:

- painting our small bookshelves – they’re all mismatched ugly hand me downs.

- Make my own headboard for the bedroom.  Ours is FUGLY

- Make accent cushions for our couch/bed

- Probably buy, not make new window treatments (the master bedroom has HUGE mofo window but the current owners are taking their drapes)

- Figuring out WHAT THE HECK kind of painting we’re going to do.  It’s neutral right now but I’ve lived in apartment neutral ALL my live so I want to jazz it up!

So with that, I hope on getting back on board my running training.  I am considering doing Session 2 today, and possibly Session 3 on Sunday (I don’t like doing back-to-backs…butttttt I may have to), then switching my runs to Tues, Thurs, Saturday for just this week instead of Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

What were some of the struggles you ran into when buying your home?  I am looking for things that we might have to (hopefully not) anticipate!

6 comments:

hrclark on April 10, 2010 at 10:09 a.m. said...

that is soooo exciting! I can't wait till we can start trying to buy a house!

Alison Fay on April 10, 2010 at 12:05 p.m. said...

Umm, walk in closet? I'm jealous! Our house has a tiny closet in each bedroom, one coat closet in the hallway, and that's IT in the whole damn house!

But seriously, that's so exciting - enjoy the process, and I'm the queen of homemade home accessories and painted furniture, my house is full of 'em. Good luck with your prep....
BTW: I had to laugh at the tardy for the party comment....I'm glad I'm not the only one brave enough to use it in a post, lol.

Alexia on April 10, 2010 at 9:30 p.m. said...

Congrats on the home! I can't wait till my have my own place.

tash on April 10, 2010 at 11:45 p.m. said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting!!!!

Angela Power on April 11, 2010 at 7:36 a.m. said...

I'm super excited and happy for you guys. Such an exciting time! That would have been poopy having previous deals fall through, but I believe it happens for a reason the you end up with the "right" house!

Christine on April 12, 2010 at 10:11 a.m. said...

This is sooo exciting! Can't wait to see the new place once you guys move in!! Don't forget, if you need help doing the move just let us know!