Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Outdoor run!

The weather has been SO nice here so Monday night I took advantage of it by sticking to my running training program and ran outdoors.  It was my first run outdoors in a long while and it was great!  I got to wear my super nifty Lululemon arm warmers which made the run THAT much better!

Dave had a massive headache but he decided to still join me for the run, which was great, especially since it had already gotten dark out. 

This was the first session of my week two running program and it was 2min walks/2min runs x7.

run2

The two minute runs were definitely a change from last week’s 1min runs but I know it’ll get easier.  I know it!

After my 5 min walk, the first run was up quite a steep hill.  Eek – I thought what a way to start this off!  The rest of the run was pretty much flat, or downhill.  To me, downhill took some time to get used to… I wasn’t sure of my footing and often felt like I could easily fall down if I stopped concentrating (must stop overanalyzing!!).

Take a peek at my specs courtesy of Garmin Connect (I am super glad I can sync this with Daily Mile now!)

april 5

Overall the run was fantastic!  It wasn’t easy but it wasn’t that hard either.  It was nice to get outside and it was REALLY great to have some activity time with Dave outside.  I’m still not at all thinking about my pace – I am just concentrating on actually DOING the run.  After reading Jeff Galloway’s book, he stresses that the beginning stages of a run/walk training program should just be taken easy anyway.  Focusing too much on time can get discouraging, especially for a new runner.  The focus should remain on proper form, and…well… having FUN!

2 comments:

Jaime on April 6, 2010 at 6:59 p.m. said...

Nice work girlie! You are kicking some ass.

I never worry about pace...don't think I ever will. I'm just happy to get out there and not die. LOL.

Laura on April 9, 2010 at 10:48 a.m. said...

Great job. When I taught the Learn to Run courses, I never worried about pace, just feeling comfortable in the run sections and focusing on that. Pace comes later..