Monday, April 19, 2010

Grilled Strawberries

A while back I remembered seeing Caitlin’s Grilled Strawberry Sandwich and I’ve been itching to make it since then!  This did not disappoint!

The grilled strawberry sandwich is so easy to make and soooo good!  Dave also gave it 2 thumbs up! 

Recipe courtesy of Caitlin:

Ingredients:

  • 2 pieces of whole wheat bread (we used white – don’t hate – it’s all we had!)
  • 2 eggs, beaten (there were no eggs in the house so I tried it with eggbeaters which surprisingly worked well!)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I omitted this on the 2nd omlette)
  • Cinnamon
  • sliced strawberries (the more the merrier!)
  • Powdered sugar (we didn’t sprinkle ours with powdered sugar)

Directions:

  • Grease and heat frying pan.
  • Make basic French bread by dredging the toast in eggs and placing on grilled.
  • On eggy side of toast, sprinkle the brown sugar.
  • Meanwhile, slice the strawberries and place on griddle to cook.
  • When first side of toast is down cooking, flip the brown sugar side down.
  • On the cooked side of the toast, sprinkle cinnamon.
  • Once toast has finished cooking, remove from heat and put strawberries in between slices (on the cinnamon side).
  • Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!

IMG_3185

Seriously – this was one of the better breakfasts we’ve had in a LONG time!  The grilled strawberries were perfection!  This can be made with any fruit (think pears, peaches, raspberries, mangoes, bananas, etc).  Catilin’s original recipe was for a banana grilled sandwich which is next on my list!

My friends, this is a must try!

4 comments:

Jaime on April 19, 2010 at 9:05 p.m. said...

Nom!!

(I was confused for a minute though cuz your directions say bananas, but I think you meant to modify to say strawberries!)

Either way. I want some!

Lex on April 19, 2010 at 9:08 p.m. said...

aha you're right! fixed that up thanks!

mmm now I want to try a strawberry banana sandwich. THAT would be perfection!

Claudia on April 20, 2010 at 7:30 a.m. said...

I shouldn't read blogs first thing in the morning ... I think I can almost taste the strawberries, I'm going to be craving this all day.

Tonight will be a Breakfast for dinner I'm sure the kids are going to love these.

Anonymous said...

YUMMMMMY! I am so going to make this. :)