Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pita Pizzas!

Lately I’ve been craving pizza like a madwoman.  Normally we buy a Delliscio pizza once in a while to satisfy the craving but this time I wanted to make my own and healthify it a bit.

I’ve seen pita pizzas in the blogosphere lately so I decided to give them a whirl!   I preheated the oven at 350F and cooked these badboys for 10minutes.

What I threw on:

pitas

pizza sauce

spinach

button mushrooms

chopped red pepper

pepperoni

Monterrey jack cheese (we had no mozzarella)

IMG_3139

IMG_3145

Here’s what the pizzas looked pre-cheese.  This was quite an ordeal for me.  First I slathered pizza sauce on the pitas, then threw spinach & mushrooms.  When I pulled out the pepperoni I got a little frazzled because I realized I wished I had put the pepperoni on the pitas after the pizza sauce, not after all of the veg.

So what did I do?  I tucked the pepperoni underneath the already laid out veg.

OCD much?

I think so!

IMG_3147

Post cheese:

IMG_3151 

Et voila!

IMG_3156

Honestly – these suckers were so good!  Both myself and Dave loved them and they will be making a re-appearance in our kitchen VERY soon!  Maybe next time I’ll experiment with some new toppings!

What are your favorite pizza toppings?

7 comments:

H-woman on April 15, 2010 at 2:34 p.m. said...

The Yves veggie pepperoni is AWESOME! Much healthier than any meat product I've seen.

I also use onion, zucchini, spinach, 'shrooms, olives, peppers and the Kraft 4 Cheese Italian blend.

Now I want pizza!

Andy on April 15, 2010 at 2:46 p.m. said...

I lovvvvve pita pizzas! I actually love all pizzas, but I really think my cravings are more about that combination of cheese, sauce and pepperoni ... so these little guys definitely satisfy all that!

Hmm, now I really want one!

Jaime on April 15, 2010 at 5:12 p.m. said...

That reminds me of two things...

1) I have pizza dough in the freezer that needs to be used.

2) There were these awesome pitas that I used to buy back home (made in Victoria so of course not available here) that were crazy good and low points. I used to make hummus pita pizzas all the time!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Lex! Nice to e-meet you too! :) I love pita pizzas! It's been awhile since I had one, now I know what I am buying this week for groceries!! :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I havne't made pita pizzas in forever! Yours looks fantastic!

Lex on April 16, 2010 at 3:11 p.m. said...

H-woman - mmmmm I will have to take a peek for that pepperoni!! zucchini would be GREAT on a pizza! I will have to try!

andrea. - Yum yum - go make some pita pizzas!!!!

Jaime - Oh whatt?? Hummus pita pizzas... VERY interesting!

destination262 - blog about them! Can't wait to see your pita choice! hehe

Lynn - I'd like to see your version - you jazzify all your foods! So yummers!

Jess on April 17, 2010 at 6:20 a.m. said...

Aw yeah! I love pita pizzas! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think I might just have to make a pita pizza tomorrow. Or, I could make actual hummus to dip the pita in. Haven't decided. Damn.

Anyway! KEEP IT UP WITH THE RUNNING! I saw that you're doing the 3 minutes! Just stick with it. If it gets really difficult/hard to keep up, slow down the pace. Remember. It's not how fast you do, but that you do it consistently and that you finish. You can do it!