Tuesday, April 20, 2010

“I’m not going”

So I have a good news story and a failure story to talk about today.  Both are running stories.

My schedule has been so out of whack and I still haven’t caught up with my regularly scheduled training days.  Which is OK!  As long as I keep running, I’m ok with being a bit off schedule.  It’s nothing a little rearranging can’t handle.

So lets talk about the good news story.  Saturday evening I found some motivation and decided to go for a run and catch up.  I was still feeling the “high” from my 3 minute runs I did (successfully) on Wednesday so I was in a go-getter mindset! 

On the schedule was 2min run/ 2min walk x6.  I lowered my pace to 4.7 again even though it was a shorter run.  My legs from the knees down felt like lead so instead of giving up, I made some adjustments to make the run more comfortable.  I ran a total of 3.35km and felt pretty good afterwards!

April 17 

My plan was to do my next run on Sunday so that I could be all caught up and start week 4 on time.  Dave had other plans for us on Sunday, however.  Instead, we went on a road trip to the butt f*ck middle of nowhere so that he could trade one of his guitars for a bass.  The road trip was SO MUCH FUN and there are so many stories I may save for another blog post, but the moral of this story is that I didn’t get a chance to go running.  Not a problem, I’ll just stay off schedule a little.  Lex is cool with this!  Zen even!

So that brings us to Monday night.  I was in a pretty cranky mood (PMS??).  There were complaints about me wanting to go on vacation, complaints about my cake business, complaints about this, that and the next thing.  In a nutshell – THIS chick was super moody.  I did NOT feel like running.  Thankfully I have Dave to push me in my time of need!  As adamant as I was against running, he pretty much talked me into going…. but not easily.

I found every excuse in the book to get out of my running:

- I wanted him to run with me (he couldn't because of some errands he had to run)

- I couldn’t find my heart rate monitor (which was located in the spot that no one looks – the last place you put it!)

- I couldn’t find my sneakers (I wore flipflops for the road trip but brought my runners “just in case” because of the rain & snow we were getting, but left them in the car overnight)

At every one of those excuses I told Dave, “I’m not going.”  When I found my HRM, I still said, “I’m not going.”  As I tied my sneakers which I found in my car I exclaimed, “I’m not going.”

As I walked out the door, I harassed him and said, “I’m not going.”

But of course, each time I said, “I’m not going,” deep down I still had every intention to go… just very little motivation.

I walked out into the hallway, into the elevator, got down to the main floor and there I saw it.

The gym light was on.

This is where I legitimately said, “I’m not going.”

Our gym is teeny tiny.  It’s just a small apartment gym with one treadmill, one bicycle, one elliptical and a few weights.  I do not feel comfortable going to that gym by myself.  I am very claustrophobic and I didn’t feel comfortable walking into that room when someone else was there.  The light was on and I heard the treadmill going, so someone was definitely in there.

So there you have it.  All the signs pointed to it – I wasn’t going.

But…..  tomorrow – I will be making it up! 

Here’s my new, adjusted schedule (again!)

run2

I am such a bad example!  Shame on me! 

Do not take notes from this girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Lex. I have definitely had those days and maybe it's just better to call it a rest day and plan for success tomorrow. Sometimes a rest day is all you need to get excited about the run tomorrow.

Claudia on April 20, 2010 at 1:47 p.m. said...

I can so related to this post, you take the good with the bad and in the end it all works out.
So you didn't run yesterday,but your running and that's what's important. Maybe this was a way for your body to tell you that you needed another rest day.
Your next run will be great!!