Saturday, April 3, 2010

Week 1 in the bag!

I hope everyone has been enjoying this Easter weekend!  Most of us lucky Canadians were able to get Friday off work and I must say, it was SO needed!

Having Friday off allowed me to get some errands done at work and gave me the chance to have an early run.  It was a great way to kickstart the day and let me get the long weekend into action.

This was my 3rd and final run for the first week of my 5K training.  It’ll be sad to see the 1min runs go, but I am anxious to improve on my endurance and work towards longer runs!

run

Friday’s run/walk was 1min runs/2 min walks x7.  I mixed that up with a bunch of random inclines which have been challenging but enjoyable.  It’s nice to mix it up and helps to add some variety to the repetitive treadmill run.

Min Speed Incline
0-5 3.0 0
5-6 5.0 1
6-8 3.5 0
8-9 5.0 2
9-11 3.5 0
11-12 5.0 2
12-14 3.5 0
14-15 5.0 0
15-17 3.5 0
17-18 5.0 3
18-20 3.5 0
20-21 5.0 1
21-23 3.5 0
23-24 5.0 4
24-26 3.5 0
26-31 3.0 0

Hopefully one of these days I get to go outside for a run.  I live in a great neighborhood but it is VERY hilly and I’m not comfortable running it by myself yet.  Dave wasn’t up for running that day so I stayed indoors.

Week 2 doesn’t look too bad.  It’ll be interesting to see how it goes – I did week 2 earlier in the year and the 2 minute runs were honestly a bit challenging for me.  (Dang I can’t wait for the day where I laugh at that statement… 2 minute runs being challenging!)

run2

Have a great rest of the Easter weekend everyone!

And Ang, I hope you enjoyed your birthday.  Sorry I couldn’t be there!

4 comments:

Libby on April 3, 2010 at 10:32 p.m. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I totally started running with a plan just like yours, small increases in running and it looks like I'll be doing that for a while until my hip recovers. The first two weeks seem to go by slow and it seems like you'll never be able to run more than 2 minutes but then all of a sudden you look back and you just ran a mile...straight! Its crazy how much improvement you'll see in the first couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to following your progress!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty on April 4, 2010 at 3:24 p.m. said...

thanks for coming by my blog!!! :) I love fellow Canadian bloggers!!

Looking forward to reading more!

Angela Power on April 4, 2010 at 9:20 p.m. said...

It was a fabulous birthday, one I'll never forget. We missed you of course ;-)

Keep up the great work running, you're doing really great!

Anonymous said...

You're doing awesome with the training Lex! Good luck with week 2.